2. Prusa i3 Mk3 use & maintenance¶
The best printer in the world will eventually drift out of spec far enough to impact your prints. It’s important to master basic care and maintenance for consistent print results.
These notes are focused on care and maintenance of the Prusa i3 Mk3-series printer. I am using the original i3 Mk3 hardware configuration. Most of these notes apply to later versions with minor exceptions.
These notes are based on my experiences with the Prusa i3 Mk3 and Artillery/Evnovo Sidewinder X1 printers. If you are using a different printer, please verify the hardware details are similar.
- 2.1. Troubleshooting extruder and hotend problems
- 2.2. Troubleshooting bed adhesion
- 2.3. Cleaning the PEI flex steel print sheet
- 2.4. Live Z calibration
- 2.4.1. Understanding Live-Z
- 2.4.2. The on-board Live-Z calibration routine
- 2.4.3. Understanding Automatic Mesh Bed leveling
- 2.4.4. Mastering Live-Z calibration
- 2.4.5. First layer, Live-Z, and print startup sequence
- 2.4.6. Automatic Mesh Bed Leveling
- 2.4.7. Calibrating Live-Z
- 2.4.8. Variations on the Live-Z calibration print
- 2.4.9. Other tips
- 2.5. Dialing in printer settings
- 2.6. Calibrating hotend maximum volumetric rate
- 2.7. Changing nozzles
- 2.8. About the PINDA warmup procedure
- 2.9. Why you don't want to use a Rasbperry Pi Zero with OctoPrint on the Prusa i3 Mk3
Contact and feedback
You can find me on the Prusa support forums or Reddit where I lurk in many of the 3D printing-related subreddits. I occasionally drop into the Official Prusa 3D discord server where I can be reached as bobstro (bobstro#9830). You can email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last edited Apr 19, 2021. Last build on Apr 19, 2021.